Biketober Christchurch is underway! The month-long celebration of cycling kicked off last weekend with a flurry of rides and other activities on Sunday 1st; there was a fantastic turnout at the Streets for People party. We talked to heaps of people during the day about Biketober, handed out plenty of new cycle maps, Bike Passports and other flyers, and also gave away plenty of pedal-powered smoothies too.
- Sat 07 Oct 2017: Cathedral Square to Ferrymead or Sumner ride, Start 9.30 a.m. CBD to Shag Rock with option to continue to Sumner along Coastal Pathway
- Sun 08 Oct 2017: Pushbikes Papanui bike maintenance course, 9-10 a.m., 501 Papanui Road
- Sun 08 Oct 2017: Short confidence rides for adults 3, 10-11 a.m. Starting cnr Mona Vale Ave/Matai St. East (by railway crossing)
- Sun 08 Oct 2017: RAD Bikes repair workshop, 12-4 p.m. The Commons, 70 Kilmore Street
- Mon 09 Oct 2017: Re-set your mind ride, 2 p.m. start at C-Block Lawn (opposite the Puaka James Hight library)
- Tue 10 Oct 2017: Go By Bike Breakfasts, 7.00-8.30 a.m. Nth Hagley Park, Antigua Boatshed Bridge, St Albans Community Centre
- Tue 10 Oct 2017: Short confidence rides for adults 4, 5-6 p.m. Starting at police kiosk, Cathedral Square
- Tue 10 Oct 2017: Try mountain biking on the flat, 5 p.m. start at Hansen Park in Opawa. Easy tour of Heathcote River mouth
- Wed 11 Oct 2017: Uni-Cycle Major Cycle Route official opening, 10 a.m., Riccarton House, Kahu Rd
- Wed 11 Oct 2017: Try mountain biking on the Port Hills, 10 a.m – noon Victoria Park, meet at the playground
- Wed 11 Oct 2017: RAD Bikes repair workshop, 5.30-8.30 p.m. The Commons, 70 Kilmore Street
- Thu 12 Oct 2017: UC mission to bikes beer and banter, 5.45 p.m. C Block lawn at University of Canterbury (opposite Puaka James Hight)
- Thu 12 Oct 2017: Bikes, beer and banter, 6-8 p.m. at the Dux Central, 6 Poplar Street
- 13-23 Oct 2017: Ride On: A pedal through Christchurch’s cycling history, 10 a.m.-3 p.m the Arts Centre, Worcester Boulevard
Don’t forget also to grab your Biketober Passport, by all accounts they’re disappearing like hotcakes. Ride around and collect stamps from participating retailers, and then hand it in at the NZ Bike Expo (28-29 Oct) to go in the draw to win great prizes!
What’s on your Biketober programme this week?