Note: “Cycling in Christchurch” does NOT provide bike sales/rentals itself; we are merely an information website. Contact the providers below.
Lime now offers a city-wide public e-bike-share scheme in Christchurch – just use your Lime app to find and access them.
Here are some commercial places to try if you’re in need of a bike or two to hire for riding around Christchurch:
- Action Bicycle Club, Central City: cool urban bikes for sale and hire, plus accessories
- Antigua Boatsheds, Central City: Not just canoes!
- Around Again Cycles, Woolston: offer bike hires from half a day to long-term
- Bike Zone, Bexley: have bikes for red zone tours and touring out east
- Chill Urban Tours, Central City (formerly The Vintage Peddler): styley retro bikes for hire as well as urban bike tours
- City Cycle Hire, Middleton: door-to-door service for city bikes, touring bikes or MTBs, also group rentals
- Cyclone Cycles & Mowers, Sydenham: daily bike hires available
- Epicentre Mountainbike Hire, Cashmere: MTB rentals, very handy to Chch Adventure Park
- Independent Cycle Tours, Governors Bay: for longer term cycle touring hires
- Natural High, Harewood: short or long-term bike hires around NZ and lots of accessories
- On Your Bike Hire provide bike hires at McLeans Forest Bike Park on weekends and public holidays
- Stewarts Gully Industries ‘Pedalmania’: for something a bit different, you can hire out a range of weird and wonderful bikes for a bit of fun at special events
Most of these places also offer guided tours, be it a local jaunt around Chch or a long-distance trek around the country.
Cycle-carrying trailers, holding up to 12 bikes, can also be hired locally from Maugers.
A number of hotels, motels, and backpackers also provide bike hires or complimentary bikes (if you’re not sure, why not ask them!), for example:
- Ashleigh Court Motel, Riccarton
- Copthorne Hotel Commodore, Burnside
- The George Hotel, Central City
- Jailhouse Accommodation, Addington
- Otahuna Lodge, Tai Tapu
- Parkview on Hagley, Riccarton
- Rucksacker Backpacker Hostel, Central City
If you would like to add/update information to this page, contact us.