If you’re new to cycling, or at least to cycling in Christchurch, this page has links to help you get started.
Know how to ride
- For youngsters starting out, CycleSafe is the Council’s cycle training programme for school kids (~Yr 6-8).
- For adults needing to work on their skills, the CAN’s Bikeability programme may be able to help you.
- Local outfit MTBskills.com provide regular beginner MTB skills courses and general cycle skills assessment.
- Bike Ready also has lots of useful information for getting started with cycling, whether for transport or just fun.
- If you want to know the Road Rules when it comes to cycling, NZTA has the NZ Road Code for Cyclists.
- We also have a growing selection of posts advising on traffic rules and how they apply to cycling.
- goRide is a great resource for people starting cycling in NZ, especially for women and families.
- Our blog has a growing range of posts on cycle skills to help you improve the riding by you and your family.
- If you’re commuting by bike, we also have handy info on how to do this safely and conveniently.
– Top Tips for Starting Bike Commuting
- Our new Suburban Guide to Cycling in Chch features local info on “beginners” places to go when you’re just starting out.
Tips for Riding around Christchurch
- If you want to know where you can ride in Christchurch, see our handy webpage of links
- Need to report some maintenance issues? Here’s how
- Had a crash or near-miss? Here’s how to let the right people know
If you would like to add/update information to this page, contact us.