We’ve waxed lyrical before about the simple tool of putting in some separator posts to keep motorists out of cycle lanes. They work just fine… when they’re there. But the new ones along Kahu Rd / Kotare St were slowly being chipped away, either by errant passing vehicles or construction workers not reinstating them when they were finished digging up the street (does someone at Council not check these kinds of little details before signing off contract completion?).

However, a little bit of “squeaky wheel” can achieve a lot by just letting Council know about these things, so I did. And while I was at it, I put in a plug for the inside corner of Kahu/Kotare where one post didn’t seem enough. Imagine my delight a couple of days later…

Count 'em: five separator posts now at Kahu/Kotare corner

Count ’em: five separator posts now at Kahu/Kotare corner

There’s obviously an ongoing maintenance cost needed for these separator posts (especially while motorists are still getting used to avoiding them). But it seems a small cost for a highly effective “separation-lite” treatment.

Are you enjoying all the new separator posts? Where do you need more? (or the old ones replaced…)

11 comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

11 Comments

• Daniel
    16 December 2015, 10:07 am

So if there are cycle lanes there, does that mean that cyclists should only be allowed in them?

• LennyBoy@Daniel
      16 December 2015, 10:10 am

The basic rule is that you can’t drive in a cycle lane, except to cross them or to avoid an obstruction. Even then, you have to ensure first that the way is clear of people biking.

• Tobi
    16 December 2015, 10:48 am

Very nice! I found so far the council responded very quickly to issues I’ve raised concerning cycleways using their Snap Send Solve app. Great to see they actually put in some construction effort as well.

• Colin Pearson
    16 December 2015, 1:32 pm

It’s great they replaced them and added more there. That’s on my route to work and about 4 months ago I called CCC saying it needed some earlier before the corner as drivers were still cutting it. Sadly I was told placement of first post far around the bend was intentional as they couldn’t add more because posts would prevent vehicles moving left (into the green cycle lane) to get around vehicles waiting to turn into Kahu. To me this signalled minimising driver delays was more important than increasing cyclist safety. Anyway that’s now been corrected with the extra posts. Awesome! Well done squeaky wheel 🙂

• Velocipede@Colin Pearson
      17 December 2015, 4:33 pm

I noticed they’d been installed as if by magic when cycling by a few days ago. They are a very welcome addition. I’d understood this could never happen for (misplaced) reasons of safety as Colin narrates above. Is this an instance of the left hand not talking to the right at the council but where the result is salutory for a chance? Whatever the case, the squeaky wheel does indeed get the oil!

• David P
    16 December 2015, 10:00 pm

Great work! There’s a few corners up the road near the university that would benefit from a similar treatment. Do you think they could be convinced to install more further up the road?

• David Moorhouse
    16 December 2015, 11:26 pm

Nice work. The ones on Kahu Rd, on the bend heading out of town, just over bridge are great. I’ve noticed (when walking there) that vehicles keep about 1m out from the posts, well within their lane – whereas before the posts went in they had no hesitation about driving in the cycle lane.
    My guess is that most drivers are actually very poor at figuring out their position on the road, so these posts are doing them as much a favour as they are for cyclists.

WE’RE LOOKING FOR CONTRIBUTORS! DO YOU RIDE BIKES IN CHCH?

Featured Post