The month of March is already a few days in but, now that we’re about to move back down to COVID Level 1, there’s a lot more certainty about what is coming up this month (don’t jinx it…).
I hope you had a great Aotearoa Bike Challenge month too! Certainly lots of biking activities and no doubt plenty of organisations also making things happen too. Congratulations too if you or your crew are lucky enough to pick up one of the great prizes too…
So what’s happening in March?
- This Sun 7th Mar, Frocks on Bikes are leading a Shabby Chic Market and Picnic Ride, starting from Beckenham Park at 10.30am and heading to the Woolston Shabby Chic market followed by a picnic by the Roimata Food Commons in Radley Park. Bring some lunch and money for any purchases – remember, these rides are open to all – women, men and children.
- Also on Sun 7th Mar from 10.30am is the Sea Cycle Christchurch Ride, organised as part of Environhub’s SeaWeek. Starting at Tidal View Ferrymead, this a gentle guided bike ride, to enjoy the wildlife who share our city.
- Last month we mentioned that Chill are offering Women’s-only Bike Maintenance 101 Workshops, throughout Feb-Apr; they’ve been very popular with only a couple of slots left in late April. For those who want to step up further, a Women’s Bike Maintenance 102 course is running on Wed 17th Mar, again starting from 6.00-8.30pm at Chill’s HQ in Durham St Nth. Cost is $55; again, numbers will be limited so book now.
- If you really want to learn about the state of the art in cycling (and walking) policy, planning and design in New Zealand, then you need to get down to Dunedin over Wed 17th – Fri 19th Mar for 2WALKandCYCLE 2021, NZ’s premier active mode conference. Not just a talkfest; there are always great field tours and a memorable fancy dress dinner!
- If you like yoga and you like biking, then why not combine them? Starting on Thu 18th Mar and running monthly every 3rd Thursday, Apollo Power Yoga will be holding Yoga for Cyclists sessions at 6pm for just $10. Find them at their central city studio at 46 Salisbury St; if you ride a bike there (and use their parking), mat hire is free!
- Finally, best of luck to those taking part in Le Race from Christchurch to Akaroa on Sat 20th Mar! After last year’s lockdown disappointments, it will be nice to see it happening! (don’t jinx it…)
As always, you can keep track of any updates to cycle happenings around Chch via our Events & Activities calendar, and we’ll try to keep it as up-to-date as possible.
What will you be up to during March?