Another month, another post full of cycling activities! And with the weather starting to improve we’re seeing a few more opportunities to get out and about on your bikes. Below are some of the activities coming up (free unless stated otherwise); details are still being finalised for some of them, so keep an eye on our Cycling Events and Activities calendar (always accessible from the ‘Information’ menu at the top of each webpage) for all the latest details:
- We start with a seminar looking at sustainable transport this Thu 6th Oct from 5.30pm at Knox Church Centre (cnr Bealey Ave/Victoria St), with tea/coffee from 5pm. “Reversing greed” features University of Canterbury transport geographer Prof Simon Kingham and our own cycling enthusiast & engineer Steven Muir, as they look at the implications of our transport choices on energy and other matters.
- RAD Bikes continue to run their regular Sun afternoon and Wed evening bike building/repair workshops at The Commons (cnr Kilmore/Durham). Come and learn how to give your bike the TLC it needs, or purchase one of their inexpensive rebuilt bikes. Their monthly Wheel Womyn Wednesday workshop is on Wed 12th Oct from 6pm; swing by this month to learn the ABCs of a spring check-up for your ride so that it’s ready for the summer.
- Lazy Sunday Cycle Chch is back for the summer with a first ride to celebrate the SCAPE Public Art festival. Meet outside the Christchurch Art Gallery (cnr Worcester/Montreal) on Sun 16th Oct at 12.30pm for a guided ride around some of the amazing permanent and temporary art works on display around the central city. The ride will take advantage of quiet streets and paths around the city and is suitable for less confident riders. No bike? No problem! Contact us and we’ll arrange for you to borrow a free Spark Bike Share for the ride.
- Got any youngsters itching to tinker with a bike? Our friends at RAD Bikes will be starting their Term 4 After-School Workshop, for six Mondays starting on Mon 17th Oct from 4.00-5.30pm. For just $30, Year 7-10 kids can learn how to build a bike out of recycled parts and then donate it to a charity of their choice. Book now with RAD Bikes.
- In conjunction with FESTA 2016 over Labour Weekend, cycleCHCH will host a bikeyface Soapbox on Sun 23rd Oct from 1-3pm at The Commons. What’s that? Well, it’s an interactive session for people to openly talk about all things bikes: what they enjoy most, and even what’s grinding their gears. Hear what others have learned and where Christchurch fits in the global transport space. And not just talk; there’ll be some fun biking activities around The Commons too. Everyone is welcome to join the fun and have your say too!
- While you’re at The Commons, you might like to join Go Cycle Chch for an Easy Short Ride from 3.30pm on Sun 23rd. This is a free guided ride for any new (or not so new) cyclists who feel they need a bit of help to get their riding confidence. Come along and enjoy a gentle cruise around a few quiet streets and paths.
OK, plenty on this month (and more already planned for November…). See you at some of these events!