September is over, so it must be… Biketober! Yep, once again Christchurch ignores the traditional calendar and celebrates a month (and more) of cycling events for everyone.
If you want to know what is happening, just check out the online calendar with all the latest details. And the month is straight into things this week with:
- Aranui Bike Fixup #1 (Thu 1st Oct, 3-6pm): bring your bike along to Breezes Rd Baptist Church and the team will fix it if they can. You can also use the available tools to fix your own bike, plus learn new bike repair skills.
- Bikes, Beer and Banter #1 (Thu 1st Oct, 6.30-8pm): join some like-minded cycling folk at The Fermentist (Sydenham) for some drinks and nibbles and conversation.
- Cycle Skills for Adults #1 (Fri 2nd Oct, 5-7pm): come along to the South Hagley Park Netball Courts for a free session for adults who want to learn better cycle skills, followed by a safe ride around the local neighbourhood. Register beforehand with Connie. And if you miss that session, there is another one on Sat 3rd Oct (10am-12pm, Phillipstown Hub).
- Biketober Rainbow Rave (Sat 3rd Oct, 8-9.30pm): Starting at the Vaka A’ Hina sculpture in the East Frame, kick off Biketober with this light-hearted, musical cruise around the night-time city – make sure to bling up your bike!
- Timeline Print-making workshop (Sun 4th Oct, 10am-2pm): For something a little different, come along to the Sumner Community Hub and make a dry point etching of your favourite bicycle using your own photos as a template!
- Sea Cycle Christchurch (Sun 4th Oct, 10.30am-1pm): Celebrate Sea Week NZ with a gentle guided bird-watching bike ride from Ferrymead to Sumner.
That just takes us to Sunday! Don’t forget too to sign up for the Biketober Passport online and then get out there and visit as many of the supporting businesses and events as you can to be in to win some fabulous prizes!
What will you be doing this Biketober?