Note: “Cycling in Christchurch” does NOT provide bike sales/rentals itself; we are merely an information site.
“Chch BikeShare” is the public bike-share scheme being trialled in central Christchurch at six stations. Once registered, your first 30 minutes riding between stations is free! ($4/hr after that) – more details about how it works here.
Here are some commercial places to try if you’re in need of a bike or two to hire for riding around Christchurch:
- City Cycle Hire, Middleton: door-to-door service for city bikes, touring bikes or MTBs, also group rentals
- The Vintage Peddler, Central City: styley retro bikes for hire
- Action Bicycle Club, Central City: cool urban bikes for sale and hire, plus accessories
- Around Again Cycles, Woolston: offer bike hires from half a day to long-term
- Natural High, Harewood: short or long-term bike hires around NZ and lots of accessories
- Cyclone Cycles & Mowers, Sydenham: daily bike hires available
- Black Sheep Trading, Central City: e-bike rentals as well
- Epicentre Mountainbike Hire, Cashmere: MTB rentals, very handy to Chch Adventure Park
- Antigua Boatsheds, Central City: Not just canoes!
- Independent Cycle Tours, Governors Bay: for longer term cycle touring hires
- Stewarts Gully Industries ‘Pedalmania’: for something a bit different, you can hire out a range of weird and wonderful bikes for a bit of fun at special events
- On Your Bike Hire provide bike hires at McLeans Forest Bike Park on weekends and public holidays
Most of these places also offer guided tours, be it a local jaunt around Chch or a long-distance trek around the country. Or you could try Christchurch Bike Tours. For a leisurely bike tour around town coupled with stops at various local breweries, contact Radler Tours.
A number of hotels, motels, and backpackers also provide bike hires or complimentary bikes, for example:
- The George Hotel, Central City
- Copthorne Hotel Commodore, Burnside
- Chardonnay Motor Lodge, Belfast
- Kiwi House, Linwood
- Point Break Backpackers, New Brighton
- Jailhouse Accommodation, Addington
- Otahuna Lodge, Tai Tapu
- Rucksacker Backpacker Hostel, Central City
- Ashleigh Court Motel, Riccarton
- St James B’N’B, Harewood
- Parkview on Hagley, Riccarton
If you would like to add/update information to this page, contact us.